• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A I need some guidance

Katie

Hi everybody! I recently graduated from Hudson Valley Community College with an Associate's Degree in Health Information Management & Technology and I really want to further my career in Medical Coding. I found out that where I graduated from isn't an accredited school and I really don't want to start over. I'm just looking for some guidance, not really sure on where to go from here. I was thinking about taking the
CPC® Complete Training Package through AAPC. Would that be something I should look into taking or is that a waste of time? Also, am I eligible to take any examinations to get certified without having gone to an unaccredited school? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Katie​

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Katie, I agree just sit for the CPC exam. However, don't do it through the AAPC. Do it through us here at CCO and I will be your coach. We throw in tons of perks. Here is a link: PBC Course

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Also, maybe your school wasn't accredited but that doesn't mean you didn't learn enough to pass the CPC. Look at the curriculum that the PBC course includes. Did you cover that in your courses? If so, you could still take the PBC course so when you get certified it only takes 1 year to remove the apprentice status, instead of 2 years. But if you wanted to just take the CPC exam, you might do fine with using the Blitz review videos and timed practice exams.

Hope you attend the webinar on Nov 21. There is usually a lot of information about CodingCertification.Org 's offerings and other useful information.

Nevergiveup

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Practicoder
Katie,
You should take the PBC course thru CCO. Alicia is wonderful and helpful. I took the coding course thru AAPC and nothing like what CCO is giving you. I did not get the perks. CCO supports you all the way thru taking the CPC and after. If I could do it over again, I would have taken the PBC course thru CCO.:);):):)

Anna

Katie

Thank you so much Ruth and Anna! I just looked into this course and it's wayyyyy cheaper than the AAPC course and looks like a legit course. About how long does it take to complete this course?

Katie

Nevergiveup

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Practicoder
Thank you so much Ruth and Anna! I just looked into this course and it's wayyyyy cheaper than the AAPC course and looks like a legit course. About how long does it take to complete this course?

Katie
Kathy,
You have a whole year to complete it. You may get done sooner. Yes it is way cheaper than AAPC. You are going to love the course and experience with CCO if you decide to take the course.

Anna

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Like you, I had some background knowledge. I completed the course and passed the CPC exam in less than 5 months. Everyone is different however.